My last blog post is my entry to a contest to bring more awareness of democracy to youths. The topic was “what does your democracy mean to you”. It was an arduous journey but also a rewarding one. The resultant essay can be found here.
I couldn’t have written this piece alone, and want to take this chance to thank all those who have provided their help. Thanks, Taneem and Seungchan, for reading over my drafts and providing feedback, and my dad for helping me find my voice in the article. I also want to thank professor Nelson Wiseman for providing guidance on book selection (Canadian Democracy and The Penguin History of Canada, among them) to help with my research on the topic. Your help is much appreciated.
My gratitude goes also to the authors of books I’ve read. They have given me new perspectives and inspiration.
The following resources helped me to understand Canadian and Chinese politics and is what my article is based on:
- Documentary: The Palace Museums – Five Millennia of Chinese Treasures, episodes 1 to 4
- Book: 解讀中國經濟 (Understanding China’s Economy) by Justin Yi-Fu Lin
- The Penguin History of Canada by Robert Bothwell
- Canadian Democracy, by Stephen Brooks
- John A.: The Man who Made Us, by Richard Gwyn
Though the following material did not directly contribute to my essay, they provided inspiration and perspective on the research:
- Models of Democracy, by David Held
- The Age of Turbulence, by Alan Greenspan
- The Unfinished Canadian, by Andrew Cohen
- Documentary: Breaking Point – Quebec/Canada: the 1995 Referendum, CBC Television
- Documentary: Freedom Had a Price: Canada’s First Internment Operation from 1914 to 1920, by NFB
- China Witness: Voices from a Silent Generation, by Xinran
- German Voices: Memories of Life During Hitler’s Third Reich, by Frederic C. Tubach and Sally Patterson Tubach
- What we Knew: Terror, Mass Murder, and Everyday Life in Nazi Germany, by Eric A. Johnson and Karl – Heinz Reuband
Last but not least, I want to thank my family and friends who encouraged and supported me through this whole journey. I couldn’t have done it without you.