Monday 6 August 2007

Taiwan trip Day 1 (June 25)

After we were picked up by our uncle from the Kaohsiung airport (小港機場) we went to my grandma's house. My first impression was "Man, Taiwan's really hot and stuffy". The air quality isn't all that good and the humidity is through the roof. The temperature that day was somewhat low because it just rained, but it was still in the 30's. Everyone seemed to drive rather slow on the highway but there was quite a number of cars. They were all following each other pretty closely, too. I can see that there will be many surprises coming from the traffic here...

My grandma was really happy to see us. She helped us settle down and prepared fruits for us. She's 87 but still very active. I don't think I can be as active at her age.

We went for my uncle's restaurant for lunch. Ahh the familiar taste of their noodles. I missed it. The last time I tried it was 3 years ago. I stood on the side watching my noodle being prepared. It's fascinating how fast my uncle/aunt can make the noodles. They are quite well known in the area and during lunch time lots of people come; mainly for take outs. There isn't really a receptionist. Customers yell out their orders, then there are paper orders, and my uncle and aunt prepare the food at the same time while taking orders. Then they calculate the price as well. I don't know how they do it. It really fascinates me.

We didn't eat much for lunch because the meals on the plane really fed us well. In the afternoon we basically sat at my grandma's home watching TV and planned the schedule for our coming weeks. It didn't take long for me to fall asleep in the living room. I slept early that night as well because of the lack of sleep on the plane.

No comments: